Have You Experienced a Chimney Fire?
Potomac Services is a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) certified company. All of our technicians are trained and certified with CSIA to inspect and clean your chimney. However, you may have already had a chimney fire and not be aware of it. Here are some signs of a chimney fire:
- You see creosote (the buildup of by-products of a fire) that looks puffy or has a honeycomb texture.
- Warped metal of the damper, metal smoke chamber connector pipe or factory-built metal chimney.
- Cracked or collapsed flue tiles, or tiles with large chunks missing.
- Discolored and/or distorted chimney rain cap.
- A TV antenna attached to the chimney that appears to have been damaged by heat.
- Creosote flakes and pieces found on the roof or your lawn.
- Damaged roofing material around your chimney.
- Cracks in exterior masonry.
- Evidence of smoke escaping through mortar joints of masonry or tile liners.
What Happens After a Chimney Fire?
If you experienced an unfortunate chimney fire, the fire department likely controlled the fire and put out the flames. However, you can’t assume that they inspected, evaluated or cleaned your chimney. As such, it’s not advisable to use your chimney until after it’s been inspected by a professional. During the fire, your chimney could have sustained damage that can’t be seen from the outside.
Before you use your chimney, have the qualified technicians at Potomac Services come out and take a look. We can identify any areas needing repair in your chimney, any lingering fire hazards and recommend a professional cleaning as necessary. We even conduct a video inspection to check your flue for cracks and ensure the integrity of all the components of your chimney system.